In March, Loudoun County School Nutrition Services local chapter took home several awards at the School Nutrition Association of Virginia State Conference in Hampton, Virginia. The awards received by Loudoun County members:
- 100% Membership Award for the central office team.
- Cow of a Different Color Award for the highest percentage increase for an individual chapter for Virginia.
- Holy Cow Award for the largest membership increase for an individual chapter in Virginia.
- Mayra Rosales, School Nutrition Manager at Creighton’s Corner Elementary, received the SNA-VA Marketing Award for her dedication to marketing her program through harvest of the month promotions and the successful cultural night sampling event, where parents, students and administration had the opportunity to test and provide feedback on a variety of culturally diverse vegetarian menu items such as paneer cheese.
- Cathy Wilson, School Nutrition Manager at Frederick Douglass Elementary, received the SNA-VA Physical Activity and Nutrition Education Award for her efforts to integrate school nutrition into the thriving school garden program at the school. Cathy and her team harvest items with students and work with them to provide taste parties and activities throughout the year.
- Kirk Dolson, Principal at Park View HS, received the Friends of SNA-VA Award for his tireless efforts to partner in the successful After School Fuel supper program, being a member of the district wellness committee and supporting the new Patriot Patch garden program.
- School Nutrition Marketing Coordinator, Stefanie Dove, RDN, SNS, received the Helen G. Ward Scholarship to support her educational goals as she is currently completing her Master of Business Administration in Marketing at Liberty University.
- Rose Custer, School Nutrition Manager at Horizon Elementary, Niki Kanavas, School Nutrition Manager at Dominion Trail Elementary, and Debbie Turner, School Nutrition Manager at Loudoun County High School, each received recognition for their 20 years of service in school nutrition.
There are currently 108 active members in the association who are employed by LCPS School Nutrition. School Nutrition Association of Virginia promotes quality school nutrition programs, provides educational opportunities and affects regulatory and legislative issues concerning school nutrition.