It is no coincidence that our students love strawberries! This year, we have been fortunate to expose our students to locally grown berries from Wegmeyer’s Farm right here in Loudoun!
Here are some fun facts about strawberries!
- One cup of strawberries provides more than 100% of the recommend daily allowance of vitamin C for adults as well as roughly 3 grams of fiber.
- Vitamin C is an important antioxidant with many functions. It protects our cells from damage caused by free radicals, helps with wound healing, and assists with the body’s absorption of iron.
- Fiber, particularly soluble fiber (which is the type found in strawberries) also has many beneficial functions. It can help lower our “bad” LDL cholesterol, regulate digestion and reduce our risk for cardiovascular disease.
- Strawberries are a great source of Manganese as well, providing about 30% of the daily value in a one-cup serving.
- Manganese helps the body utilize key nutrients, helps to maintain strong bones and healthy nerves, assists in synthesizing fatty acids and cholesterol, and maintains normal blood sugar levels- preventing energy spikes and crashes.
- Strawberry season is in full swing, which is why all students in Loudoun County were able to try strawberries for free at their Taste It Thursday and Fear Factor Friday events in May!
This blog was written by Virginia Tech Dietetic Interns