In honor of National Heart Health Month, what better way to celebrate than by whipping up a batch of this delicious hummus? This year we launched our own hummus kits for school lunch and our students can’t get enough! Here is a way for you to make some hummus at home! Even better, all students were able to try beets during our promotional event in December, so this is a great way to expose them to beets again!
- 1 medium Beet
- 1-(15 Oz) can white beans or chick peas
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Lime Juice
- small clove Garlic
- 1/2 tsp Nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Rinse the beans and set aside to help remove excess sodium.
- Wash the beet well and place on a baking sheet covered with foil. Bake for 50-60 minutes. The beet should be tender so it will puree easily.
- Remove skin off of the beet. Remember to wear gloves or you risk staining your hands!
- Place all the ingredients in a food processor and puree until smooth.
- This can be stored in the fridge for up to 5 days or frozen for up to 3 months. Serve with pita chips or fresh veggies!